Renters Insurance in Beaufort NC
As a renter, you could face costly out-of-pocket expenses if your personal property is damaged or destroyed at your rented property. Renters insurance can help protect you from financial hardship when the unexpected occurs. Contact Willis Insurance in Beaufort, North Carolina, to learn more about our renters insurance policies.
What Is Renters Insurance?
Your renters insurance policy is a contract between you and your insurance company. In exchange for your premium payments, your insurer agrees to help pay for covered losses, per your policy terms. Although renters insurance isn’t legally required, certain landlords may necessitate it for your lease.
What Does Renters Insurance Cover?
Your landlord’s insurance policy will typically cover structural damage to your rented property. However, their insurance generally won’t cover your personal belongings or your personal liability if you’re deemed responsible for third-party bodily injury or property damage.
Examples of typical renters insurance coverages include the following:
- Personal possessions coverage may help pay for your belongings if they’re damaged or destroyed by a covered peril.
- Personal liability coverage may help cover costs, such as medical expenses and legal fees, if a third party (e.g., guest or neighbor) is injured on your property or if you’re accused of causing third-party property damage.
- Loss-of-use coverage may help reimburse you for extra living expenses if your rented property is rendered temporarily unlivable due to a covered peril.
The agents at Willis Insurance can help you evaluate your coverage needs. Contact us today for more information.
How Do Renters Insurance Claims Work?
The claims process may vary among insurers. The type of claim you’re filing may also affect how you file a claim. Here are some general tips for filing a property damage insurance claim:
- Report all damages to your landlord.
- File a police report if necessary.
- Make the necessary repairs to prevent further damage.
- Keep any maintenance or repair receipts.
- Contact your insurer.
You will likely be asked to follow a different procedure to file a personal liability claim. Contact Willis Insurance for more information.
How Much Does Renters Insurance Cost?
Several factors may affect the cost of your renters insurance premiums, including the following:
- Your claims history
- Your policy details (e.g., deductible and coverage amount)
- Your location (e.g., zip code)
- Your type of residence (e.g., apartment or townhome)
Where Do I Buy Renters Insurance?
Since 1950, we’ve been helping our clients find the right insurance for their needs. Contact Willis Insurance to get a tailored insurance quote.
We have offices in Beaufort and Morehead, North Carolina.